Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fedora 7 - My Personal Bugfest

(For full text with comments please click on the title)

Fedora 7 is to be released in these hours. I already got a copy of the last RC and have been bug hunting since then. And I gathered quite some over the last days, unfortunately, but most are simply due to new, not yet tested application features.

The Fedora 7 release was supposed to come along with a new feature I personally really could use: extended authentication support in NetworkManager.

So after the features were added and Fedora packaged a beta version I got my copy and tried to get the network working.
However, it didn’t work: the wpa_supplicant has seriousproblems and even crashes. As long as that problem is not sorted out I’m afraid I can’t use my universities network.
But since I was already at my universities computer lab I tried to get at least the VPN working - and failed as well: the client configuration file for Cisco routers doesn’t work for NetworkManager - and has some minor file association problems, btw.

Unfortunately Fedora 7 has some other issues as well on my computer - suspend/resume is not working anymore for me, I get a kernel panic. And KDE is no longer able to remember which applications have been started in the last session.

Anyway, since I was already working at it I also filled three other bug reports not exactly related to the release of Fedora 7, but also valid bug reports/wishes: one was against Fedora in general to add the necessary config options to xorg.conf in case of loading synaptics drivers, one was to update a certain package to the newest version and the last one was about adding the (atm not working) extended authentication support to knetworkmanager.

Hm, all over all I must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that enterprise network things on Linux are still not in a really usable shape, and I really do hope that things improve massively with the release of NetworkManager 0.7…

0 comments:

 
Blogging Secret